Hormonal changes and fatigue are largely responsible for baby blues..
After the birth of your baby it’s normal to have mood swings and to cry more than usual. Many new moms experience the baby blues for a short period of time.
The baby blues follow the birth of the baby and can last from a few days to approximatively two weeks. Hormonal changes and fatigue are largely responsible for this temporary depression.
Here are few tips to help you feel better during this time:
- Talk about how you feel.
- Let the tears flow without trying to resist or worry too much about the cause.
- Get your family and friends to help out a little more.
- Allow yourself to take a break or nap.
- Take care of yourself (see Taking care of yourself).
- Practice skin-to-skin contact with your baby.
- Talk to other parents.
If your baby blues last for more than two weeks or if you feel more and more sad or irritable, you may be experiencing depression.
You can call Info-Santé or Info-Social at any time by dialling 8-1-1 or contact your CLSC or a psychologist.