There are a few items that can be handy when it comes to caring for your child. Consider stocking your medicine cabinet with the following:
Keep medications and natural health products in their containers with a child-proof lid. Store them in a cabinet with a lock or safety catch or in a place children cannot get into.
- Digital thermometer
- Acetaminophen (e.g., Tempra®, Tylenol®, or any generic brand for pediatric use)
- Oral rehydration solution (ORS)
- Zinc oxide ointment
- Over-the-counter antibiotic ointment
- A sweet oil (e.g., olive oil)
- Saline solution for the nose
- Adhesive bandages and dressing
- Unscented moisturizing cream
Before adding an item to your medicine cabinet, such as an over-the-counter medication (available without a medical prescription) or a natural health product, ask your pharmacist if the product is safe for your baby.