Poisoning and contact with hazardous products

If you suspect your child has ingested or come into contact with a toxic product, follow these steps:

  • If your child is not breathing or is unconscious, call 9-1-1.
  • Otherwise, call Centre antipoison du Québec at 1-800-463-5060 for help.

Always have the product with you when you call.

Centre antipoison du Québec is a 24-hour emergency helpline. Staff will explain what to do based on your child’s condition, the product involved, and how it was ingested or what organ it came into contact with (mouth, lungs, skin, or eyes).

Poisoning is the second leading cause of hospitalization in children 4 and under. It often occurs at home. The most common source of poisoning in small children is medication (vitamins, antibiotics, cold and fever medication) and household products (cleaning products, fuel, personal hygiene products, plants, mushrooms, pesticides, etc.).

Toxic

Hazard symbols on products.

Corrosive

Flammable

Explosive

What should I do?

Ingested product

Information to which you should pay special attention If you suspect your child has ingested or come into contact with a hazardous product and he is not breathing or is unconscious, call 9-1-1.

  • Clean out and rinse your child’s mouth.
  • Do not induce vomiting.
  • Do not try to neutralize the product by giving him milk or anything else.
  • Do not administer treatment unless instructed to do so by a Centre antipoison du Québec nurse or a health professional.

Product in the eyes or on the skin

Inhaled product

  • Take your child out into the fresh air.
  • Call Centre antipoison du Québec at 1-800-463-5060.

Always have the product with you when you call Centre antipoison du Québec so you can read the label to the nurse.

Centre antipoison du Québec has a number of prevention publications available on its website at www.ciusss-capitalenationale.gouv.qc.ca/nos-services/en-cas-durgence/centre-antipoison-du-quebec (In French Only).