Educational Success, Health and Well-Being: Effective Action in Schools – Synthesis of Recommendations
The Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS) and the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS) asked the Institut national de santé publique du Québec (INSPQ) to produce a decision support tool. This new tool is intended to help managers and staff in the education and health networks to select the promotion and prevention practices that will be most effective in fostering educational success, health and well-being among students in Québec schools.
The document entitled Educational Success, Health and Well-Being: Effective Action in Schools – Synthesis of Recommendations is one component of this tool. It presents a synthesis of the national and international scientific knowledge, in the fields of education science, social science and health, underpinning the main recommendations concerning effective health promotion and prevention practices in schools. The synthesis is presented in the form of information sheets on eleven topics that are reflected in the school reality:
- School-Family-Community Collaboration
- Safe Environments and Behaviours: Prevention of Unintentional Injuries
- Good Relationships and Prevention of Violence
- Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Alcohol, Drugs, Games of Chance and Gambling
- Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Nutrition
- Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Physically Active Lifestyle
- Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Tobacco Abstinence
- Healthy Lifestyle Habits: Sleep, Hygiene and Oral Health
- Mental Health
- Healthy and Responsible Sexuality
It is clear from the information sheets that certain recommendations are common to several different topics, while others are specific to one topic only. Accordingly, a second document will be published to complete the decision support tool. It will present a cross-topic analysis with a common core of recommendations from preschool to the end of secondary school, and will divide the recommendations according to the students' development phases.