Cree Health Survey 2003, Canadian Community Health Survey, Cycle 2.1, Iiyiyiu Aschi : Cigarette consumption

The survey was conducted during the summer of 2003 using a representative sample of residents aged 12 and older from the nine communities in Iiyiyiu Aschii: Chisasibi, Eastmain, Mistissini, Nemaska, Oujé- Bougoumou, Waskaganish, Waswanipi, Wemindji, and Whapmagoostui.

  • A proportion of current smokers (46%) higher than that for the rest of Quebec (27%).
  • Daily smokers who smoke, on average, fewer cigarettes per day than the rest of Quebec (9.9 cigarettes vs. 16.4).
  • An increase, between 1991 and 2003, in the proportion of the population aged 15 and over who have never smoked (9% vs. 14%).
  • High proportions of current smokers among young people: 60% among the 12-19 age group and 73% among the 20-29 age group.
  • Young people aged 12-19 who, when buying cigarettes, are less often asked their age (32%) than young people in the rest of Quebec (68%).
  • The same pattern with respect to the smoking cessation process, quitting smoking and quit rates as in the rest of Quebec. We nevertheless observe a lower proportion of young people aged 20-29 at the action and maintenance stage, and a lower proportion of young people in this age group who successfully stopped smoking compared to people of the same age in the rest of the province.
  • A restriction on the use of cigarettes at home, which extends to 85% of the population. For 80% of the population, this restriction applies to the whole house. These results are significantly higher than those for the rest of Quebec (42% and 35% respectively).
  • A population which is more exposed to second-hand smoke in vehicles (19%) and public places (33%) than Quebecers in the rest of Quebec (10% and 24% respectively).
ISBN (Digital)
Santecom Number
Date de publication